Barley was used by ancient civilizations as a food for humans and animals as well as alcoholic beverages. Barley is a major and important cereal grain in many countries like USA. It is cultivated world wide and is a widely adoptable crop. It belongs to grass family. It is the source of fermenteble material for beer, certain distilled beverages and for whiskey. It is used in soups, stews, flakes, barley water, barley coffee, barley tea, pancake and bread. It contains carbohydrates, dietary fiber, calcium, folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, eight essential amino-acids, selenium (a type of anti antioxidants) and beta glucane.
- It lowers the LDL cholesterol using beta glucane present in it.
- It also helps to stabilize blood glucose level.
- It solves the urinary infections.
- It cures the inflammation of legs in pregnant ladies.
- It also strengthen the kidneys.