Cholesterol is a waxy fat-like substance that is found in all cells of the body travelling through the blood stream in small packages called lipo-proteins. Body needs cholesterol to work properly, but too much of cholesterol increase the chance of getting heart diseases, stroke and other problems. Cholesterol is categorized in the following ways :
- LDL Cholesterol – Low Density Lipo-protein – Bad Cholesterol – (70-130 mg/dL)
- HDL Cholesterol – High Density Lipo-protein – Good Cholesterol – (40-60 mg/dL)
- Total Cholesterol – Combined Cholesterol (200-220 mg/dL)
- Triglycerides – (10-150 mg/dL)
Causes for High Blood Cholesterol :
- Unhealthy lifestyle
- Lack of exercise
- Overeating (fried items, fatty foods, vanaspathi…)
- Inactive lifestyle
- Kidney diseases
- Other medicines like birth control pills, stress medicines, diuratics beta blockers…
- Hyperlipidemia is the presence of abnormal levels of lipids (fats) in the blood.
- Hypercholesterolemia is the presence of high levels cholesterol in the blood.
- Hypocholesterolemia is the abnormally of low levels of cholesterol in the blood.
Natural food stuffs for lowering the cholesterol:
- Garlic : It lowers the LDL and increases HDL. It prevents blood clot in the coronary arteries. It reduces blood pressure. It protects the body against infection.
- Oats : The key cholesterol burster beta-glucane, a substance in oats that absorbs the LDL in the body and excretes it. It contains fiber.
- Olive Oil : This common cooking oil improves the HDL as it consists of omega 3,6 unsaturated mono fatty acids.
- Fish : Lowers the LDL because of the presence o omega 3 fatty acids.
- Walnuts : Increases the HDL. Taking 2-3 nuts daily keeps us away from heart diseases.
- Tea : It is an anti-oxidant for cancer cells. It is also great defense against LDL cholesterol.
- Beans : Cluster Bean, Kidney bean, soya bean, ordinary beans are good in reducing total cholesterol because of its high fiber content.
- Dark Chocolate : Powerful antioxidants that helps to build HDL cholesterol levels.
- Spinach : It It contains lot of lutene, which fights against aging and muscular degeneration leading to blindness.
- Mushrooms and onions too reduce the high blood cholesterol levels.