Obesity is a serious problem all over the world in adults and children of both sexes. Overweight or obesity is termed as the accumulation of excessive fat in the body impairing the health. Obesity is measured by Body Mass Index (BMI) which is a simple index of weight for height that is used to classify obesity in adults. BMI is equal to the person’s weight in kilogram divided by the square of his height in metres (kg/m2). According to WHO (World Health Organisation), if BMI greater than or equal to 25 it is overweight. If BMI is greater than or equal to 30, it is obesity.
Fundamental causes of obesity:
- Taking more energy giving foods (fatty, oily foods).
- Sedentary nature of work.
- Lack of exercise.
- Watching TV and operating computer for long duration.
- Changing modes of transportation instead of cycling or walking.
- Labor saving devices.
- Alcohol intake.
- Increasing urbanization.
- Education System.
- Hormone imbalance.
Common health consequences of obesity:
- Cardiovascular diseases like heart attacks…
- Blood Pressure.
- Hormonal problems.
- Endometrial, breast and colon cancers.
- Joint pain.
- Premature death.
- Insulin resistant diabetes.
- Psychological effects.
- Breathing difficulties.
Natural food stuffs for reducing obesity:
- Bottle gourd soup or juice.
- Plantain stem juice or soup.
- Soup of leaves of Indian jujube : Take some amount of these leaves and add 2 cups of water and make it half by boiling. Then filter this and drink.
- Horse gram soup.
- Citrus fruits like grapes, guava, pineapple and amla.
- Fiber rich vegetables like bean varieties.
- Sprouted grams.
- Soups of greens.
- Vegetable salads.
- Bermuda grass (arugampul) juice.
Suggestions to reduce obesity:
- Avoid fatty foods and take low calorie diet.
- Increase the consumption of vegetables, greens, fruits, nuts and legumes.
- Regular physical activity.
- Do exercise compulsory like cycling, walking, swimming, simple yogasanas for 1-2 hours daily.
- Reduce usage of two wheelers and car, instead go by walk or cycle.
- Reduce the usage of TV and computer.
- Spend the calories intaken by doing physical activities.
- Avoid packaged foods.