|FENUGREEK LEAVES AND SEEDS|
The fenugreek is a small ,annual ,leguminous herb belonging to the family of fabaceae .The botanical name of the fennugreek is ” Trigonella foenum- graecum ” . Fenugreek is native to sub Himalayan plains of Indian subcontinent .Now it is widely grown all over the Mediterranean region ,Europe ,middle east Asia and northern African regions .Fenugreek seeds and leaves are widely used in India .Because of its strong and bitter taste it is used small quantities for preparing food items like dhals ,vegetable dishes ,and other side dishes .Fenugreek seeds are rich in medicinal properties .It contains protein ,iron ,copper ,zinc ,selenium ,potassium ,calcium ,magnesium ,manganese ,thiamin (B1) ,phyridoxine ( B6) ,folic acid ,riboflavin (B2 ),niacin ,vitamin A ,vitamin C ,aminoacids ,phyto nutrients and soluble dietary fiber .
– Fenugreek seeds controls the diabetes because of its galactomannan ,4- hydroxy isoleucine a soluable dietary fiber and aminoacids content , which helps to stimulate the insulin secretion and slows down the rate of sugar absorption in the blood .
– It reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases because of its galactomannan and excellent source of potassium which counter the action of sodium .It controls the heart rate and blood pressure .
– It reduces the LDL cholesterol because of its fiber content .
– Fenugreek seeds contains phytochemical compounds like diosgen ,trigoneline ,yamogenin ,gitogenin ,bigogenin ,and neotigogenin ,isoflavones which helps to increase the milk production in lactating mothers , it will reduce the menstrual discomforts and menopausal symptoms in women.
– It helps the easy childbirth through stimulating uterine contraction and reduce the labour pain in pregnant women .
– It helps to treat digestive problems .Mucilage of fenugreek seeds coat the lining of the stomach and intestine and sooth irritated gastrointestinal tissues .Before consuming fenugreek seeds you have to soak in the water to make them outer coat mucilaginous .
– It prevents colon cancer ,because of saponins ,mucilage of fenugreek seeds binds to toxin in the food and flush them out .
– It helps to produce RBC and removes the iron deficiency anemia because of its folic acid and iron content .
– It is very effective treatment for skin problems like burns ,boils ,eczema and getting rid of scars .
– It helps to lose your weight .
– Fenugreek seeds are excellent home made beauty products ( face packs,)for preventing pimples ,wrinkles and blackheads .
– It is also great to keep the dandruff away .
– It is an excellent remedy for thinning of hair and hair fall.