Ashwagandha is the most powerful medicinal plant that grows to 1.5 meters height . The common name of this herb is winter cherry .In english name is Indian ginseng ,sanskrit name of this herb is ashwagandha ,botanical name of this herb is Withania somnifera . It belongs to the solanaceae family .This plant is native to India ,parts of Africa and Mediterranean region .It is related to the tomato and has small yellow flowers that turn to red fruits about the size of a raisin .Ashwagandha is a very well known and tested plant .It is refered to the Indian ginseng because of the medicinal properties of this plant is close to those of ginseng .
Ashwagandha is rich in iron ,antioxidants ,tannins ,glucose ,potassium nitrates , many useful medicinal chemicals like steroidal lactones ,alkaloids ,choline ,fatty acids ,amino acids , variety of sugars and numerous other substances .More than 200 medical research studies have been shows the healing benefits of ashwagandha . Considering the healing powers of this herb Ashwagandha has been used for more than 3000 years in the oldest system of Indian medicine in ayurveda , hence this is called queen of ayurveda .The roots and leaves of this herb is used for medicinal purposes .
It was used as a general tonic traditionally .
– It helps to enhance the sexual potency for both men and women .
– It helps to cure impotency ,premature ejaculation and infertility .
– It relaxes the blood vessels and stimulate the blood circulation .
– It helps to rejuvenates the body .
– It helps to restore the vitality and strength .
– It helps to improves the learning capacity ,reaction power ,and memory power .
– It reduces an anxiety and depression without causing drowsiness .
– It stabilizes the blood sugar.
– It helps to reduce the brain cell degeneration .
– It helps to prevent the loss of memory ,migraine headaches and alzheimer,s disease .
– It lowers the blood cholesterol and improves the HDL cholesterol ( high density lipo protein that is good cholesterol )
-It regulates the blood pressure and prevents the heart diseases .
– It offers anti inflammatory benefits because of its anti inflammatory property .
– It combats the effects of stress .
– It protects and improves immune system of the body .
– It helps to remove the skin problems .
– It helps to cure the rheumatism, arthritis and sciatica .
– It regulates the digestive system and protects the stomach and intestinal ulcers .
– It helps to cure painful menstrual periods and menopause problems in women .
– It helps to improves the intellectual capacity .
– It helps to cure and prevent constipation .
– It is also helps to promotes healthy metabolic function of the body
– It helps to protect the various organs like liver ,pancreas ,spleen ,heart and kidney .
– It promotes good sleep .
– It regulates the nervous system .
– It helps to prevent numerous diseases .
– It is very good antiseptic for cough ,cold ,fever . asthma and conjunctivitis .
– It helps to prevents cancers like breast ,colon ,lungs ,pancreas ,and help to prevent the growth of tumors in the brain .
– It is very good for hypothyroidism ,it stimulates and regulates the thyroid gland .
Ashwagandha is available in the form of tablets ,legiyam .churana and extract in herbal and ayurvedic medical stores . Ashwagandha also exists in dyes or in fluid extracts .