Sesame seeds are one of the oldest oil seeds crops known by human ,domesticated well over 3000 years ago .It has one of the highest oil contents of any seeds .Botanical name of this seeds are sesamum indicum . In Tamil it is called ” ellu ” .Sesame seeds are small ,pleasant nutty flavour and high oil content .The delicious ,crunchy sesame seeds are widely considered as a healthy foods .It is used in culinary as well as in traditional medicines in Indian system of alternative medicines for their nutrient content ,preventive and curative properties .The largest producer of sesame seeds is India and largest importer is Japan .It is one of the chief commercial crop in Nigeria ,Sudan and Ethiopia .
It contains several health benefiting nutrients like calcium ,iron ,zinc , manganese ,selenium ,copper ,magnesium ,fiber , thiamine ,riboflavin ,niacin ,phyridoxine ,folic acid ,protein , potassium ,phosphorus ,vitamin E ,monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids like palmtic acid ,palmitoleic acid ,oleic acid ,linolelic acid ,linolenic acid , steraic acid and elcosenoic acid etc .
– Oil extract from this seeds are rich in omega 3 ,omega 6 .and omega 9 fatty acids which are very good for our heart .
– It helps to reduce the LDL cholesterol and rise the HDL cholesterol which is beneficial for our heart .
– It helps to prevent the risk of coronary heart diseases and strokes .
– It helps to prevent the diabetes .
– It is a very good high protein vegetarian diet .
– It helps reduce the risk of cancer because of its antioxidant property .
– It helps to reduce the high blood pressure .
– It helps to protect against DNA damage from radiation .
– It helps to prevent headaches and migraine headaches .
– It promotes healthy and beautiful skin .
– It helps to reduce the the risk of skin cancer .
– It is very good natural anti inflammatory agent .
– It helps to heels the sore foot and other wounds .
– It is very good for joints and bones .
– It helps to promote hair growth .
– It helps to prevent the scalp problems .
– It gives natural sun screen effect .
– It helps to cure anemia because of its iron and folic acid content .
– It is very helpful for enzyme synthesis ,hormonal production, red blood cell production ,cardiac and skeletal muscle activities .
– It helps to reduce the neurosis ,anxiety and stress .
– It helps to prevent respiratory problems .
– It helps to improve the liver functioning .
– It helps to prevent the teeth from cavities .
– It helps to reduce the premenstrual syndrome in woman .
– It helps to reduce the risk of intestinal parasites .
– It promotes thyroid function .
Dry fried sesame seeds sprinkled over toasts ,biscuits ,breads ,cakes .salads ,stir fries and preparing various dishes . Sesame oil is mainly used for cooking .It is also used for oil pulling .