The world health day is a global health awareness day celebrated every year on 7th April to mark the anniversary of the world health health organization since 1950 .Unsafe food containing harmful microorganisms like bacteria ,viruses ,parasites and other chemical substances are responsible for more than 200 diseases and linked with the death of some 2 million people annually including children .The World Health Organization working with countries and parties to strengthen efforts to prevent ,detect and respond to food borne diseases .
“Theme of 2015 world health day is promoting food safety from farm to plate”
.world health day 2015 is an opportunity to alert people working in different government sectors ,farmers ,manufactures ,retailers ,health practitioners as well as consumers about importance of food safety with five keys to safer food .
1 . keep cleanliness
– Protects kitchen areas and food from insects ,pests and other animals .
– Wash your hands before handling food and frequently during food preparation .
– Wash your hands with soap after going to the toilet .
– Wash and sanitize all surfaces and equipment used for food preparation .
2 .separate raw and cooked food
– store food in containers to avoid contact between raw and cooked food .
– separate raw meat ,sea food ,poultry food from other foods .
– use separate utensils and equipment.
3 . cook food thoroughly
– Cook food thoroughly especially meat ,poultry ,egg ,sea foods
– Reheat cooked food thoroughly .
4 . keep food at correct temperature
– Do not leave cooked food at room temperature for than 2 hours .
– Promptly refrigerate all cooked perishable food .
5 .use safe water and raw materials
– Use safe water
– do not use food beyond its expiry date
– Select fresh and whole some foods .