The delicious and highly nutritious green peas are one the important and widely consumed leguminous vegetables in both fresh and dried form in the world .It is originated from central Asia and middle east Asia ,now it is grown in throughout the world .The scientific name of the green peas is Pisum Sativum belongs to the family of Fabaceae .
It is an annual plant with life cycle of one year .It is a winter crop dry seeds can be available in the market around the years .Green peas are known as mutter are one of the common ingredients in winter season dishes in the Indian sub continent .Fresh peas are added to a variety of mouth watering recipes like aloo mutter ,mutter paneer etc . Canada is the largest producer of green peas in the world .India ,China , Russia and France also large scale producer of green peas .
It contains lot of nutrients like very good source of protein ,soluble and insoluble dietary fiber ,excellent source of folic acid ,vitamin A ,K ,B1 B2 ,B3 ,B6 ,C ,zinc ,magnesium ,calcium ,choline ,iron ,copper ,manganese ,magnesium ,potassium ,molybdenum ,phosphors omega 3 fatty acids ,19 essential amino acids ,antioxidants and flavonoids such as carotene ,lutein ,zeanxanthin ,low calories and no fat .
Many research studies indicates that regular intake of green peas will helps to
– Reduce the body weight because fresh tender green peas ( 100 grams green peas provides 81 calories )are low in calories with no cholesterol and soluble and insoluble dietary fiber .
– Reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and lowers the fasting sugar levels ,reduce the insulin resistance because of its low glycemic index .
– Required for formation of red blood cells and DNA synthesis inside the body cells because it is the excellent source of folic acid .
– Give more resistance to the body and scavange harmful inflammatory free radicals from the body because it contains a water soluble antioxidant vitamin C .
– Reduce the LDL ( low density cholesterol or bad cholesterol
) cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood and Lowers and maintain normal the blood cholesterol levels because of its dietary fiber content with no cholesterol .
– Boosts the bone health and improves the coagulation of blood .
– Prevents the Alzhemeirs disease by limiting neuronal damage inside the brain , because of its vitamin K content and antioxidant property .
– Prevents heart disease and support healthy blood vessels because of its antioxidant and anti inflammatory property .
– Reduce the homocysteine levels which are risk factor for heart disease because of its high amount of B1 ,B2 ,B3 ,B6 and folates .
– Prevents and removes the constipation because of its high content of dietary fiber .
– Prevents the arthritis ,wrinkles ,osteoporosis because of its omega 3 fatty acids ,zinc ,vitamin E and vitamin K content .
– Prevents stomach cancer because of its poly phenol coumesterol .
– Helps to reduce depression
– Prevents fatigue and anemia
-Greater food for children growth and development .