The sweet and sour tamarind is one of the widely used ingredients found in every Indian and south east Asian kitchen .Tamarind tree is very large with long and heavy drooping branches and dense foliage .During each season the tree bears curved fruits pods in abundance covering all over its branches .Each pod has hard outer shell encasing deep brown soft pulp enveloping around 2 to 10 hard seeds ,Its pulp and seed held together by extensive network .
Tamarind trees are evergreen tropical trees native to Africa grown throughout the tropical and sub tropical regions of Africa ,south east Asia ,south America Caribbeans is lands for their fruits .India is the largest commercial cultivator of tamarind .
Biological name of the tamarind is tamarindaus indica , the other langugages tamarind is called as Lmli in Hindi , urudhu and punjabi ,puli in tamil and malayalam ,amli gujarathi ,tentuli in bengali .
Tamarind is available in the market throughout the year in the form of dried pods ,pressed fibrous slabs ,tamarind blocks ,ready to use slices ,concentrates ,balls or in the paste form .
Tamarind is is rich in vitamins like vitamin C ,vitamin A , B 1 ( thiamine ) B 2 (riboflavin ) ,niacin ,folic acid ,tartaric acid ,minerals like iron ,calcium ,potassium ,copper ,selenium ,zinc , magnesium , dietary fiber ,non polysaccharides such as ,mucilage , pectin and tannin ,phytochemicals such as linanonene ,geranio ,safrole ,linanic acid ,methyle salicylate etc and many volatile chemical compounds .
Regular in take of tamarind in your diet will help
– Acts as a blood purifier and improves the quality of blood .
-Prevents constipation and acts as a natural laxative because of its dietary fiber .
– Prevents heart from cardio vascular diseases and reduce the high blood pressure because of its high content of potassium .
– Lowers the blood cholesterol .
– Reduce the body weight
– Effective for treating fevers ,sunstroke and paralysis .
– Enhances the appetite ,the recipes of tamarind jaggary ,chilies and salt are good appetizers and also very effective for digestion
– Stimulate bile and other juices in the body .
– Dilute tamarind decoction kills the stomach worms in children .
– Fight against harmful free radicals and prevent the risk of cancer
– Increase the red blood cells production because of its iron content
– Improves and strengthens the body,s immune system and prevent from deficiency diseases because of its vitamin C content,
– Mix of this pulp is a good painkiller for swollen joints
– Tamarind juice is acts as tonic ,carmative ,antiseptic ,mild laxative ,cleaning agent and febrifuge .
– Tamarind is associated with other ailments and diseases like fractures ,earache ,diarrhea ,sprains ,burns ,malaria ,blood impurities ,inflammation ,bleeding piles ,jaundice ,painful and swollen joints ,asthma ,rheumatism ,sunstroke ,diabetes ,urinary stone ,nausea and vomiting during pregnancy ,skin rashes ,leprosy and paralysis .
– Tamarind is a natural anti aging agent .
– Used as a food preservative and prepare many dishes .
Tamarind juice is very famous in Tamil Nadu during summer and festival seasons .