Tephrosia purpurea is a species of flowering plant in the family of fabaceae .This plant has pinnate leaves ,white and purplish flowers and flat hairy pods .
It is a common waste land weed ,even grown in sides of the roads in many parts of India and Srilanka . It is under cultivation as green manure crops in poor soils .Tephrosia purpurea is commonly known as wild indigo ,kolunchi in Tamil ,Sarapunkha in Sanskrit ,Vempali in Telugu .This plant has full of medicinal properties .
This plant was used as a traditional medicine for curing many diseases like leprosy ,ulcers ,asthma ,tumors ,liver ,spleen ,heart and blood related diseases .
– Ayurvedic research studies shows that this plant has antihelmintic ,alexiteric ,alterative and anti pyretic properties .
– The leaves and seeds of this plant contain “tephrosin” which paralyzes the fish .That is why it is used as a fish poison .
– A decoction of the roots of this plant is used in treating depression ,diarrhea ,rheumatism ,asthma and urinary disorders .
– The root powder is salutary for brushing the teeth where it is said quickly relieve dental pains and stop bleeding in gums .
– An extract has ‘betaphroline ‘ it is help to ,release of endorphins and it is used in certain cosmetic preparations .